How to Apply & Dates
How to Apply Guide for Exchange & YAP Students
Step 1. Receive approval from your home university to study at KSU
Consult with the office at your home university about your eligibility to apply to KSU
Step 2. Be nominated
Your home university submits a nomination for you to KSU.
Nomination deadlines: March 31 for September admissions and September 30 for April admissions.
Step 3. Apply for Admission
KSU will send a link to an Application for Admission Form to successfully nominated students.
Students prepare and submit their applications attaching other required documents as shown below.
April 1 to 30 for fall admissions in September or
October 1 to 31 for Spring admission the following April.
*Applications will not be accepted outside of these periods.
*Only applications from students who have first been nominated by their home university will be considered.
- Application for admission – a link will be e-mailed to successfully nominated students
- Japanese Language Proficiency
- Japanese Language Proficiency Questionnaire
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test Results
- Japanese Language Proficiency Reference Letter
- Academic transcript from the student’s current university in Japanese or English
Transcripts or an accompanying document should show the student's GPA.
- Applicant’s photograph in JPEG or JPG format. Please see here for photo requirements.
- Passport photocopy (pages showing photo and passport details)
- Application form for Certificate of Eligibility for Student Status
*(It is advised that students prepare an average of 80,000yen per month for on-campus accommodation and other living expenses)
- Designated Certificate of Health (complete within 6 months of arrival in Japan. Other health forms not accepted. )
- Certificate of Enrolment (YAP students only). YAP students are additionally required to submit a Certificate of Enrolment from their home university confirming that they will remain enrolled as a student of that university throughout their time on the YAP program.
Only applications which include ALL of the above documents correctly completed will be accepted.
Email Applications to:Cipfirstname.lastname@example.org
Step 4. All student applications group processed & certificates issued
Applications for admission and Certificates of Eligibility from immigration for all exchange students are processed together during November to January for spring admissions and during May to July for autumn admissions. Letters of Acceptance will be issued by e-mail and Certificates of Eligibility will be sent by courier to the applicant's home university during February or early August.
*Letters of Acceptance will be e-mailed to you once your admission has been approved.
*Certificates of Eligibility will be couriered to your home university’s designated address as soon as they are received from Japanese Immigration.
*All other documents and information will be sent by e-mail directly to successful applicants.
Step 5. Apply for your student visa
After receiving a Certificate of Eligibility and Letter of Acceptance, students can apply for a student visa at a local Japanese Embassy or Consulate office. Please consult with the office where you will apply for application details.
Step 6. Advise KSU of your arrival details and insurance
About 2 months before their planned arrival at KSU, students will be asked to submit their arrival details and travel insurance details. An arrival form will be e-mailed to students. All students are required to bring with them insurance from their country of residence. Insurance details are shown on the Arrival Form.
Step 7. Come to KSU
The final step will be to come to KSU. Due to domestic travel costs and convenience, we suggest that you arrive at either Kansai International Airport (KIX), or at Itami Airport (ITM), both of which are in Osaka. If your final flight ends in Tokyo (Haneda or Narita), then you will have to travel to Kyoto which is expensive and time consuming.
Up-coming Semester Dates
2021 Spring & Fall semester dates
We regret to inform you that due to uncertainties resulting from Covid-19, admissions for Spring and Fall semesters in 2021 have been cancelled.
2022 Spring semester dates (pending)
Arrive： End of March
Orientation/Registration: Early April.
Classes begin: Early April
Classes end: Late July, 2022
Examination Period: Late July to early August, 2022
*Dates for 2022 will be confirmed as soon as available
*Future acceptance for admissions may be with-drawn or postponed at the discretion of KSU due to Covid19 or other unforeseen circumstances.
*Conditions of arrival in Japan are subject to Japanese immigration policies and requirements. Incoming exchange and YAP students will be advised of requirements as information becomes available.
Exchange & YAP students are issued one transcript free of charge after completion of their study period at KSU. Transcripts are issued in the middle of March for students whose program ends in the Autumn semester and in the middle of September for students whose program ends in the Spring semester. Transcripts are sent by registered delivery to the student’s home university. Transcripts and grades cannot be issued earlier.
- if a student thinks that they may require additional transcripts for future use, they are advised to apply and pay for those before they leave Japan.